Monday 15 April 2013

On hunting

I've made yet another WoW character, a human Survival hunter called Siegrune. (Yes, another Wagnerian name. So sue me.) It's going surprisingly well. So well, in fact, that I am about to boast a little.


Have a look at that top line. Fifty percent of the total damage was done by me. Damn! To prove that wasn't just a fluke, let me boast a second time.


Unfortunately I didn't think to take a screenshot of the scoreboard at the end of the battle. I was only about eighth on the list there (ranked by kill-points). I killed seven Hordies personally, and assisted in killing another thirty or so, and only died four times.

Until I saw this Recount analysis, I was very pleased with my battleground score. (I still am, to be honest.) But given that I did the second-highest damage of the team, I feel that I should have been much higher up the kill-point ranking. My inference is that I am spending too much of my time and energy attacking targets that I cannot kill (heavily armoured paladins and the like) and not enough on the softies (rogues, priests and mages). On the other hand, it is a team effort and my chipping away at those paladins and warriors helped the team kill them.

It's that old conflict between personal ambition and the common good.

No comments: